formation of esters,
acid chlorides and amides,
1. Carboxylic acids are the compound containing carboxyl group in their molecules.
-C with a double bond with oxygen and single bond with OH
2. These acides can be aliphatic or aromatic.
Formic acid HCOOH
Acetic acid CH-3COOH
Isobutyric acid (Branched)
Bezoic acid : H in benzene substituted by COOH
m-Nitrobenzoic acid: One more H substituted by NO-2
o-Toluic acid (o refers to ortho) Benzoic acid with one more H substituted by CH-3
3. Methods of Preparation of Monocarboxylic Acids:
1. From oxidation of primary alcohols
2. By oxidation of aldehydes and ketones.